Safe, nutritious and wholesome packed lunches in Cameroonian primary schools
Background: master thesis (Dr. Philomina Yamgai Fankam) presented at the University of Yaoundé, 2016
Pilot project started on September 2016 in the following country regions:
● KEBAB Bilingual Primary school Nkolbisonging,
● QUALITY INTERNATIONAL Primary School, Maison Blanche Yaounde. Mfoundi Division, Centre province
● DELIGENT Bilingual Primary School Kumba, Meme division, Southwest Province.
1. A set of instructions and advices to guide children, parents, teachers, and schools administrations on simple actions to provide a wholesome lunch.
2. A questionnaire based on qualitative information on food consumption and habits of children, parents, teachers in the primary schools.
3. Audits to assess the risk associated to the school lunch program in primary schools.
Translation of scientific research and knowhow of the international scientific community into awareness of consumers (children), citizens (parents), school canteen workers, and school administrators:
- Assessment (questionnaires) of prejudices of children, parents, and schools administrators on food safety, food hygiene, and balanced nutrition (e.g. perception of impact on health, perception of difficulties to obtain a good level of protection, perception of preventive health, personal attitudes and practices)
- Education on basic notions on how to store foods at home and during transport to school, to avoid toxic and microbiological contaminations
- Education on basic notions on balanced nutrition (macronutrients, micronutrients) through representation of food groups using colors, food pyramid (including nutritional need, cooking habits, differences within the country), classification by taste
- Education on relationship between nutrients and their functions: what –and how much- to eat? What not to eat? List at least one specific function of each nutrient class
- Food hygiene and safety activities (hand washing, water sanitation and hygiene, safe cooking practices including supply and storage, organization of appropriate kitchens and waste system, organization of cost-effective school feeding program)
The project promotes healthful eating habits and encourage the school system to adopt actions to provide safer and nutritious meals.